Q. Why should I take the vaccine?
A. It is currently the best, safest and most effective method to control the COVID-19 pandemic and stop it from spreading, to protect yourself and others.
Q. Vaccine Safety and Efﬁcacy:
A. All vaccines are subject to adequate testing and go through several stages (including clinical stages) before they are approved for use. The country has selected these vaccines on a scientiﬁc basis and has made sure to provide vaccines that meet all safety requirements.
Vaccine excluded groups: Nursing mothers; pregnant women; children below 18 years; people with an immunodeﬁciency disease; those who are allergic to any vaccine, food, medicine or substance or those who carry a self-injectable adrenaline; women planning to get pregnant in the near future (3 months from the date of taking the vaccine).
Q. Can a person who was infected with COVID-19 take the vaccine?
A. Yes, but the person needs to take the vaccination after three months from the date of infection of the virus. [The body develops antibodies after getting COVID-19; therefore, the chances for reinfection are very low.]
Q. If someone has taken a vaccination other than the COVID-19 vaccine, is it safe to take the COVID-19 vaccine? Example: I took an inﬂuenza vaccine, is it safe to take the COVID-19 vaccine?
A. Yes, but you need to wait for more than four weeks after the inﬂuenza vaccine to be able to take the COVID-19 vaccine.
Q. I took a different COVID-19 vaccine recently, is it safe to take another COVID-19 vaccine?
- NO. It is NOT safe to take a different type of COVID-19 vaccination.
Q. I might not be in Dubai to take my second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Can I reschedule my vaccine for another day?
A. It is strongly recommended to complete the vaccine course and abide by the scheduled time to ensure that you receive the maximum beneﬁt of the vaccine.
Q. Am I exempt from taking a PCR test for travel purposes or pre-surgical procedures in Dubai if I have taken the COVID-19 vaccine?
A. No, you are not exempt. For the time being, everyone is required to follow policies and regulations that are related to COVID-19 testing and screening in Dubai.
Q. Can I stop wearing a facemask after taking the COVID-19 vaccine?
A. No, you still need to keep wearing the facemask and you must follow all precautionary measures unless there is another ofﬁcial instruction or announcement from the health authorities in this regard.
Q. Do people need to keep following COVID-19 precautionary measures after completing the COVID-19 vaccination doses?
A. Yes, all precautionary measures need to be followed even after taking the COVID-19 vaccine until you receive any instruction or announcement from the health authorities in this regard.
Q. Is it safe for people with chronic diseases to take the vaccine?
A. Yes, the vaccine is safe, effective and indicated for people with chronic diseases as they are at a higher risk of developing COVID-19 complications. Your family physician will inform you if you have any speciﬁc contraindication to take the vaccine.
Q. I am on multiple medications, is it safe to take the COVID-19 vaccine?
A. Your family physician will guide you on the safety of taking the vaccine. Provide your physician with your detailed medical history and list of medications. In addition, please make sure you inform your physician if you are allergic to any drugs or have any other allergies.
Q. What is the cost of the COVID-19 vaccine?
A. It is free-of-cost.
Q. What do I do if there are side effects?
- Take a Paracetamol when you experience mild and moderate side effects.
- Use a cold compress to relieve pain at the injection site.
- If you have mild and moderate symptoms that persist for longer or severe symptoms, despite the use of Paracetamol, you should see your physician
- For emergencies, head to the nearest health centre or hospital.
Q. General tips after taking the vaccine:
- Be aware of any side effects.
- Comply with the instructions issued by your doctor.
- Make sure you do not skip or delay your appointment for the second dose of the vaccination. This is important for the vaccine to be effective and to provide you with the necessary protection.
- The vaccine is one of the most effective ways to ﬁght COVID-19 but it is not the only way.
- Everyone should take precautionary measures to combat COVID-19 even after vaccination, such as physical distancing, keeping your hands clean and wearing a facemask.